[cmake-developers] Review Request: Topic ExternalProject-independent-step-targets

Daniele E. Domenichelli daniele.domenichelli at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 09:07:04 EST 2014

Hello,

Sorry for resuming an old thread, you can read the original thread here:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/8680/

This topic was reviewed and merged into next, but there were some issues
in the unit tests with Ninja and with parallel builds.
I finally found the time to update and properly fix it.

In order to fix the issues with ninja, I added the
ExternalProject_Add_StepDependencies function as discussed here:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/8680/focus=8926

In order not to modify all the ExternalProject_Add calls in the main
ExternalProject test, I reverted the changes to this test, and instead I
modified the ExternalProjectUpdate one to use
"EP_INDEPENDENT_STEP_TARGETS update" for this folder. This means that I
had to change the ExternalProject_Add call to use
ExternalProject_Add_StepDependencies instead of DEPENDS, but it is just
one call and the DEPENDS argument is widely tested in the main
ExternalProject test, so in my opinion it shouldn't be an issue, and
allows to test both.

Finally I also added some RunCMake tests for the new command and options.

These are the commits included in the topic.

ExternalProject: Add independent step targets
http://www.cmake.org/gitweb?p=stage/cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=b69c4233

ExternalProject: Add ExternalProject_Add_StepDependencies function
http://www.cmake.org/gitweb?p=stage/cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=068fb542

ExternalProject: Add unit tests
http://www.cmake.org/gitweb?p=stage/cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=0edd9fc6

Can you please review the topic again?