[Cmake] Problems finding programs on FreeBSD

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 08:48:22 -0500

At 06:40 PM 3/18/2004, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
>I have two questions :
>
>(1) Which "make" should we find?
>
>        It appears that present code prefers the GNU make to any native system make.
>        Is this intentional?   If so, we need to add "gnumake" to the list of possible names.
>
>        Personally, I would prefer to see the choice of  "make" prefer the native make and
>        have the option for the project to request/demand the GNU version.

The makefiles generated by cmake should work with either make or gnumake.  If you
find a case where that is not true, please report the bug.   Internally cmake for
use in try-compile commands needs to use a make, and it looks for gmake before make as
gmake is often a better choice if it is around.   However, once the makefiles are generated,
then you can use make or gmake.

>(2) Tcl has problems on "stock" FreeBSD installs.
>
>       FreeBSD has chosen to install tclsh under a name like "tclsh8.3"
>       However, they also install a stub program under the name "tclsh" which does not
>       actually run the tcl shell, but issued a warning informing the user where he might
>       find the desired command.
>
>       Personally, I don't link that behavior and modify the install on my system so that "tclsh"
>       is a link to the current version. But that is not "out of the box" (package install) behavior.
>
>       Would it be bad to test for the named versions "tclsh8.4", "tcl84", etc. first and check for
>       "tclsh" last?  Or would it be better to actually run a trivial test program to see if the shell
>      actually works?

The FindTclsh.cmake file looks for the following:

 NAMES tclsh
  tclsh84 tclsh8.4
  tclsh83 tclsh8.3
  tclsh82 tclsh8.2
  tclsh80 tclsh8.0

I guess you are saying that tclsh should not be in the list, or at least it
should be the last choice.   It seems like a dumb idea of an OS to install a tclsh
that does not work simply to tell people to look for it in another place, but I guess
we can't change that.   On many other systems tclsh is a link to the prefered tcl
installed on the machine.

-Bill