[CMake] The input line is too long (MinGW)

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Sat Sep 23 10:14:16 EDT 2006

Martin Dobias wrote:
> On 9/22/06, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com> wrote:
>> I'll assume you're using the MSYS Makefiles generator.  Please let me
>> know if this is not the case.
>
> No, I'm using MinGW Makefiles generator. Now I've tried alse MSYS
> Makefiles generator and linking works correctly with both 2.4.3 and
> CVS version.
>
> What's the difference between MinGW and MSYS generators? Only
> difference I'm aware of is that MSYS generator uses sh.exe for running
> make commands. Are there any pros and cons?
>
> What generator should I prefer for building?
>
> That error with MinGW makefiles is simply a limitation or could be fixed?

Both generators should work.  The difference is that MinGW and MSYS both
come with their own make.  For years the projects had problems with
people confusing their makes so they renamed the MinGW one to
"mingw32-make".  The original MSYS make is still called "make".  They
expect different path formats (windows v. posix) and use different
shells (sh v. cmd).

The MinGW Makefiles generator creates makefiles meant for mingw32-make.
  If you run MSYS's make with MinGW makefiles it probably won't work.

We should be able to fix the MinGW make line-too-long problem.  That
generator should be using a "link script" design to avoid listing large
counts of object files on the command line in the makefile.  Please send
me the actual command line from the build.make file that is causing the
line-too-long error.  It should be in CMakeFiles/mytarget.dir/build.make
for the target that is not linking.