[CMake] Trouble with CMake + Eclipse + SVN/CVS

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Thu Oct 18 10:40:00 EDT 2007

Quoting Pau Garcia i Quiles <pgquiles at elpauer.org>:

> Quoting Eric Noulard <eric.noulard at gmail.com>:
>
>> 2007/10/17, Pau Garcia i Quiles <pgquiles at elpauer.org>:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> Is it possible to use CVS or SVN from Eclipse in a CMake-generated
>>> project in scenarios A or B?
>>
>> This is an Eclipse Team platform issue.
>> You may read more information about it
>>
>> here
>> http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2007-August/015510.html
>> and
>> here
>> http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/platform-cvs-dev/msg00452.html
>>
>> read those threads then you'll that A or B are not possible yet.
>> You may create 2 Eclipse project
>> the first being a "simple" checkout of your sources done
>> with eclipse
>> the second being the CMake generated project.
>
> Thank you.
>
> After reading those threads, I have been able to make
> scenario A (out-of-tree build) work with a bit of manual work.
>
> I am trying to modify the Eclipse generator to perform the changes
> automatically and will provide a patch.
>
> In case anybody is interesting, it is quite easy to get it to work.
[...]

I have improved the process a bit, there are no warnings or errors now.

Assuming you have got a 'myapp' directory:
1. Create a 'myapp-build' directory at the same level 'myapp' is
2. From 'myapp-build', run 'cmake -G "Eclipse CDT4 - Unix Makefiles ../myapp'
3. Move .cproject and .project from 'myapp-build' to 'myapp' (I know,
I know: not a pure out-of-tree build anymore, but this is the only
"pollution" your tree will get)
4. Edit .project and:
      * At the top of the file, change <name>myapp-build</name> to
<name>myapp</name>
      * At the end of the file, *only for the first entry* of
<linkedResources> -> <link> change
<location>yourpath/myapp</location> to
<location>yourpath/myapp-build</location>
      * Remove subsequent entries of <link> in <linkedResources>

5. Edit .cproject and:
	* In '<storageModule moduleId="org.eclipse.cdt.core.pathentry">',
remove the first entry ('<pathentry kind="src" path="myapp"/>')
	(this removes the warning about a missing myapp/myapp folder that was
shown with my original "recipe")

Now you have out-of-tree builds with CMake in Eclipse and CVS and SVN
work fine (more than fine, actually: when you try to import your
source into CVS or SVN, no generated file shows in the file selector).
Remember to add myapp/.cproject and myapp/.project to the .cvsignore
or to svn:ignore for them not to be in the repository.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org