[CMake] Re: Migration to subversion

Sebastien BARRE sebastien.barre at kitware.com
Sat Jan 5 17:58:03 EST 2008

At 1/5/2008 09:24 PM, Jesper Eskilson wrote:

>Those of you who haven't already read "Version Control and 'the
>80%'" should do so (http://blog.red-bean.com/sussman/?p=79) *before*
>forming your opinion on centralized version control.

Interesting read, especially the paragraph about: "In a nutshell:
with a centralized system, people are forced to collaborate and
review each other's work; in a decentralized system, the default
behavior is for each developer to privately fork the project.".

Anyway. Before flaming each others, please bear in mind that the
decision remains in our hands, at Kitware. I won't speak for Bill or
Ken on this specific issue, but the *vast* majority of our projects
is hosted on CVS, and the rest on SVN. There is only a handful of
contributors to CMake, and one of the most efficient distributed
technology they use is actually known as "walking to someone's
office"; *if* the CMake repository ever switches to a different
versioning system, I would be personally surprised it is a distributed one.