[CMake] cmake 2.4.8 RC 10

David Thulson david.thulson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 20:45:56 EST 2008

Hello,
  This is my first post to the cmake mailing list, so I hope it works...  I
downloaded the 2.4.8 RC 11 for OS X and for what it is worth it appears to
work just as well as 2.4.7.  In both 2.4.7 and 2.4.8 RC 11 I have some
serious issues with the Xcode generator.  I just bought my first Mac
(MacBook Pro running Leopard) a few months ago, so I am unfamiliar with
Xcode and even OS X in general.  However, my project (
http://www.crownandcutlass.com) has a unit test framework that has worked
well for us on several versions and distributions of Linux as well as
Windows XP.  The project is set up as a static library and the unit test
framework is a separate CMake project that uses that library.  Code compiled
in OS X using the Makefile generator appears to work fine.  I still have a
few quirks to work out for OS X, but overall it is very much as I expected.

  However, if I use the Xcode generator, I have several issues.  FIrst off,
we have a "config.cpp.in" file that is used to generate "config.cpp" as a
part of the build.  The Xcode project includes a reference to a file "
config.cpp.rule" which does not exist.  That generates this warning:
warning: no rule to process file '/(my path)/Protocce/src/config.cpp.rule'
of type file for architecture i386

  I can just remove that from the project and it seems to be fine until next
time I regenerate the project.  No big deal, but it is a little annoying.
The bigger issue is that the resulting binary has issues catching
exceptions.  Some units can catch exceptions fine, but others cannot at
all.  At first, I thought I was having issues due to the visibility flags,
but I am using a static lib and I believe the visibility issues only apply
to dynamic libs.  The exceptions that I cannot catch pass through a
"catch(...)" so I believe even with visibility issues that at least should
catch the exception.

  You can see my CMakeFiles here:
Static lib -
http://crownandcutlass.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/crownandcutlass/trunk/Protocce/src/CMakeLists.txt?revision=1020&view=markup&pathrev=1027
Unit test app -
http://crownandcutlass.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/crownandcutlass/trunk/Protocce/test/src/CMakeLists.txt?revision=1020&view=markup&pathrev=1027

  Like I said, the same code base works fine in XP, LInux, and if I use the
Makefiles it works in OS X.  I may just be doing something stupid.  This is
my first CMake project, and like I said I just got a Mac so I have never
used Xcode outside of this attempt.  I am not sure this is worth delaying
2.4.8 since the behavior is the same as 2.4.7.  Also, I have not had time to
try building a new CMake binary from CVS, sorry.  However, I thought I
should report what I'm experiencing before too much longer.  Let me know
what I can do to help.

David Thulson