[CMake] Generating source code packages with Windows line endings

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Mon Jun 23 11:55:44 EDT 2008

I have a Windows user for FreeEOS that is having trouble with the (Unix)
line endings in the FreeEOS source release tarball.  The PLplot team have
never had any complaints about this issue so I assume most Windows users
know how to convert Unix line endings.  OTOH, I notice the CMake
release deals with this issue by releasing source packages with both Unix
and Windows line endings.

I have no windows experience so I would appreciate comments on whether it is
generally a worthwhile thing to do to release Unix and Windows source. CMake
is the only package I am aware of that does this.  Is this a tradition
established a long time ago that may not be justified or is this something
the CMake developers would recommend for all source releases?  (My user may
be a special case of using some really old windows system where tools to
convert line endings are not available, but it may also be the case that he
is ill-informed about the availability of such tools.)

Assuming it is generally considered to be a good idea to release source code
with both Unix and Windows line endings, is that something that can be
handled automatically by CPack or does the CMake release guy generate the
Unix source by cpack and run a special script afterward to generate the
windows source package?  If special script, could that be made a CPack
option?

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).