[CMake] Build settings in Xcode

Claus Höfele claus at claushoefele.com
Sun Apr 12 00:48:05 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I'm trying to change the build settings that Xcode uses to build my project.

Xcode has two ways to change build settings: one way is to use
compiler flags (e.g. -fno-exceptions to disable C++ exceptions);
another way is to use Xcode specific variables (e.g.
GCC_ENABLE_CPP_EXCEPTIONS). Some settings, such as is the case for
exceptions, have both a compiler switch and a build setting variable.
Other settings can only be changed with variables (e.g. the compiler
version (3.3/4.0/4.2) to build the project).

A previous mail by Bill Hoffman mentions CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES,
which results in a build setting variable (ARCHS) being written into
the Xcode project file. However, there doesn't seem to be a generic
way to set a build setting variable.

Is this a feature that's planned to be added to cmake? Is there a
documentation of existing Xcode build settings supported by cmake,
such as CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES?

Thanks,
Claus

Xcode Build Setting Reference:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/Reference/XcodeBuildSettingRef/0-Introduction/introduction.html
cmake 2.6-patch 3, Xcode 3.1.2, Mac OS X 10.5.6