[CMake] Install command using Optional for Visual Studio 9 2008

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Wed Jul 29 11:07:21 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 8:03 AM, Anders Eriksson <anderserikss0n at hotmail.com
> wrote:

> 1) Is there a way to create a build target equal to the install/fast target
> that is available for the "Unix Makefiles"
> generator which does not depend on all the other targets?

No. But you can do an "install/fast" equivalent within Visual Studio GUI by
right-clicking on the INSTALL project and choosing "Project Only > Build
Only INSTALL" -- this will execute the install script straight away without
building the things it depends on first...

> 2) I am using the "Optional" argument when calling the Install command.
> However, in the case of shared libraries, the
> "Visual Studio 9 2008" install scripts exit when a file to install is not
> present. I have tested this using the "Unix Makefiles"
> generator and there it seems to work as expected. For example I have:

I am not sure about this one. I've not used OPTIONAL myself before... It
does look like OPTIONAL should probably be in the install script in the
"TYPE SHARED_LIBRARY FILES "path/my_target.dll")" chunk.

Perhaps you could file a bug report at http://www.cmake.org/Bug and then
attach a simple project that reproduces the issue...? Bugs filed in the
database always get looked at eventually. Sometimes the mailing list traffic
gets heavy and things like this are more easily lost than they are in the
bug database...

HTH,
David