[CMake] External package version number

laurent at marzu.org laurent at marzu.org
Mon May 18 04:58:34 EDT 2009

Hello,

I would like to retrieve the version number of an external package (=
libxml2 or xerces-c++ or any other XML parser available).

And, to format the version number in a "standard way" (at least for my
package using either libxml2, xerces-c++ etc).

So my first thought was to use "CheckCSourceRuns" to compile a test
program and "execute_process" which will print on standard output the
version number in order

to get it in a cmake variable. But it seems that CheckCSourceRuns does not
provide an "executable" to me in order to "give" it to "execute_process".

And I would not like to build a target just for this ..

Is there a way to do such thing with cmake or should I add another target
to my "cmake" in order to compile an executable doing the extraction

of the version number ?

Thanks you all