[CMake] FindHDF5.cmake improvement proposal

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Tue Mar 2 12:19:32 EST 2010

On 3/2/2010 11:53 AM, Antonio Valentino wrote:
>> >  2. For your SZip portion to work, there would need to be a
>> >  FindSZip.cmake in system modules directory. Do you have one that you
>> >  can contribute?
>>
> Oh, sorry.
> I found it on gitorious.org
>
> http://gitorious.org/hdf5/hdf5-v18/blobs/master/Resources/CMake/FindSZIP.cmake
>
> It seems that someone is going to Cmake-ify HDF5 itself.
> I suppose the license is the same as HDF5 but I should check.

That was me. Couple things. The SZip license is NOT compatible with
FreeBSD or similar licenses, just FYI. This would obviously NOT preclude
CMake from including the FindSZip.cmake (as it was written by me) in
their distribution. I guess I should put a Copyright or acknowledgments
or something at the top of FindSZip.cmake on gitorious. What does one
usually put in those?

There are a few of us that have pretty much developed a CMake build
system for HDF5 version 1.8. Note that this branch is NOT tracking the
latest official HDF5 svn repo. It was a separate effort. Note also that
"The HDF Group" who maintains HDF5 _are_ eventually moving to a CMake
build system in the near future. The "CMake HDF5" that is up on
gitorious seems stable and does pass all of its tests on Windows, Linux,
OS X**, a Cray XT and a cluster.

**OS X PPC-64 is having some problems at the moment passing some of its
tests. The HDF Group is aware of the problem. No ETA on a fix.

Hope that helps with some of the issues.

Mike Jackson
BlueQuartz Software <www.bluequartz.net>