[CMake] CPack packages are missing files

Rob Hasselbaum rob at hasselbaum.net
Sat Mar 20 16:23:13 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I'm trying to use CPack to generate packages for my Linux-based
project (version 2.6), but what I'm finding is that some files are
missing from the output package regardless of what generator I try.
Specifically, executables, shared libraries, and resources files
passed through the "configure_file" command seem to work OK, but
unaltered text files and icons do not.

I understand that CPack only packages what was installed. In my case,
I am calling the "install" command for all of the files in question
and "make install" installs them just fine, so it's just the package
generation that isn't working. Also, if I run CPack as non-root, I see
two errors for each file that wasn't installed. Here's one example:

CMake Error at /home/rob/dev/socketsentry/build/socketsentry-service/cmake_install.cmake:50
(FILE):
  file INSTALL cannot set permissions on
  "/etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.socketsentry.Watcher.conf"
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /home/rob/dev/socketsentry/build/cmake_install.cmake:37 (INCLUDE)

CMake Error at /home/rob/dev/socketsentry/build/cmake_install.cmake:51 (FILE):
  file Internal CMake error when trying to open file:
  /home/rob/dev/socketsentry/build/install_manifest.txt for writing.

If I run CPack as root, I don't see the errors, but the files are
missing from the output package. Any ideas?

Thanks!