[CMake] Get configuration-dependant LOCATION property

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Sun Oct 3 13:28:20 EDT 2010

Hi,

I understand what the manual [1] says about LOCATION property that it is
more or less deprecated. Is that right?

I'm building software (shared libraries and executables) on both, Linux
and Windows (using VS 2005, 2008, 2010) and I'm trying to find out what
would be portable way to get target output location. It is location of
output directory where toolset genreates .so or .dll files.

I tried LOCATION property but it is empty (on Windows at least)

get_target_property(MY_TARGET_LOCATION ${MY_TARGET} LOCATION)

I tried LOCATION_Debug as well and it returns correct value,
but now I can't find how to figure out <CONFIG> to generat
LOCATION_<CONFIG> in CMake run-time.

I've read CMake FAQ and ml archives and I understand CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE
doesn't help here as it's supported for make based generators.

Basically, I'm trying to improve Scott's "add_test and locating
dependent DLL's on Windows" [2] trick, so it does not stick to using
LOCATION_Debug property.

Can anyone suggest solution to how to get target ouptut folder location?

[1] http://cmake.org/cmake/help/cmake-2-8-docs.html#prop_tgt:LOCATION
[2] http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2009-May/029464.html

Best regards,
Member of ACCU, http://accu.org