[CMake] fixup_bundle, shared libs and Plugins

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Tue Jan 11 11:17:31 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Michael Jackson <
mike.jackson at bluequartz.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation David it really helps to narrow down what might
> be going on. Couple of comments. Starting fresh this morning everything
> seems to be working correctly after simply deleting the build folder and
> starting over. So maybe I had a stale cmake variable floating around.
>  Also the part where BundleUtilities is NOT copying the libraries was also
> catching me by surprise as I was probably dependent on that part working in
> previous versions of CMake. The change is fine now that I know to look for
> it.

You're welcome. (Glad you're amenable to this and willing to roll with the
change... There were 2 different perspectives about how BundleUtilities were
used before this change and we chose one of them as 'preferred' and are now
enforcing it...)

>  Can I have multiple install rules for the same target?

Yes, absolutely. It will get copied (as needed) from build to install
location for each install rule you have for it.

> Reason I ask is that a few of the libraries that get built are used by
> several applications. Also, how exactly do I have an install rule for a
> Library gets installed into an app bundle? I would need to know the complete
> path and complete name of the App bundle which for my projects changes
> depending on Debug or Release builds. I guess I am having a problem wrapping
> my head around this again.

Let's say your app is installed by:
  install(TARGETS App BUNDLE DESTINATION "My App 1.2.3")

(this should put an "App.app" bundle in a folder "My App 1.2.3" at the root
of the make install tree...)

Then, after that install rule, add one like this for a plugin installed into
the .app bundle:
  foreach(pi ${plugins})
    install(PROGRAMS ${pi}
      DESTINATION "My App 1.2.3/App.app/Contents/plugins"
        )
  endforeach()

(In this case, plugins must be full path file names, but if your plugins are
targets instead, you could simply use the "install(TARGETS" signature
again... And it's only if they are targets that the Debug/Release confusion
comes into play. If they're not targets, you should be referencing the
libraries by full path name already anyway.)

Of course, in your real code, you'll want to use variables and avoid
duplicating the hard-coded strings used in the example, but you get the
idea.

Let me know if there's a specific issue you're having a problem with.

Thanks,
David