[CMake] CMake 2.8.8-RC2 with Mac OS X 10.7.3 Xcode 4.3.2

Gary Little gglittle at comcast.net
Thu Apr 12 13:34:14 EDT 2012

I've been porting  a disk diagnostic tool we develop and use internally to the Mac platform specified in the Subject. I have it to the point where using CMake 2.8.7 it would create the plethora of sub-project builds, build and link all of the dylibs that are used by Wish to run the diagnostics on the drives that we manufacture. Recently however, I realized I needed a better IDE than "vim", so I tried to run CMake to use Xcode 4.3.2. The first thing that happened was a CMake error which should be solved in CMake 2.8.8 RC1. It was, and CMake created the plethora of projects as well as the single xcodeproj file that ties them all together.

The project loads in Xcode, and does the builds, with quite a few warnings. The warnings are nothing new, and like many shops we tend to ignore them … not my choice since I'm a bit anal about fixing warnings, but I have to live with these. However, I am not generating any dylibs, and when I go to a terminal and run "xcodebuild -project MyP.xcodeproj" I find that the build is actually failing with an error -- a Boost header file is not found.

The path for the Boost headers are defined in the first CMakeLists.txt for non Windows platforms as: include_directories("/usr/include"). An additional include_directores adds the remaining paths and those are defined.

I've listed the files in that path and show boost defined under include followed by all the header files that Xcode cannot find. My next thought was to go look at HEADER_SEARCH_PATHS, and sure enough "/usr/include" is not listed in that search path. I tried setting include_directores the CMakeLists.txt file governs the actual project that is being built but that does not work either. So, how do I set the search paths to find the Boost header files?

Also … How do I change build types in 2.8.8 RC2? The -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release that I used to use is no longer accepted. it fails with a label not used message.

Do I need to file a bug report, or am I doing or not doing something?

Gary Little
H (952) 223-1349
C (952) 454-4629
gglittle at comcast.net