[CMake] Can imported libraries depend on ExternalProject targets?

Stefan Reuschl lists at stefanreuschl.de
Sat Jun 23 10:06:25 EDT 2012

Am 22.06.2012, 20:21 Uhr, schrieb Kent Williams
<nkwmailinglists at gmail.com>:

> OK, I guess.
>
> The only reason I bring this up is ITK. If you're familiar with the
> ITK build process, it has a 'module' concept -- not a module in the
> CMake sense (where it is a library intended for runtime loading), but
> in the sense that the build process is modular.  Each of the ITK
> libraries is a module, which is defined by a standardised directory
> layout and cmake files.
>
> I made an Module for DCMTK that satisfies the requirements of an ITK
> module -- it builds DCMTK as an External Project, and uses
> add_library(name <lib-type> IMPORTED) on each of the libraries DCMTK
> creates, and connects the imported library with the actual library
> file in the file system.
>
> This all works fine EXCEPT for this one conundrum, you can't have the
> imported libraries depend on the ExternalProject target, so if you
> want to make sure the ExternalProject gets built before the targets
> that try to link to them, you have to make the executable (or library)
> target depend on the ExternalProject target to serialize the build of
> the dependee before the depnder.

The following once worked fine for me using CMake 2.8.8:

ExternalProject_Add( ep )
add_library( epLib IMPORTED )
set_target_properties( epLib PROPERTIES IMPORTED_LOCATION ... )
add_dependencies( epLib ep )

> So really it would be easy to just say 'too bad, make ITK its own
> external project, and build the prerequisite' or 'too bad, add the 3rd
> party library source to ITK/Modules/ThirdParty the way we've always
> done it," but it would be kind of awesome if CMake could handle
> imported libraries depending on targets.

No matter if this works, I would like to suggest another approach,
which I recently tested for the same use case and which might be
helpful:

The next problem of using ExternalProject this way is, that the user
of the external project need to know the location of public headers
and libraries...
The CMake way of exporting targets using projectConfig.cmake files won't
work because the externals project's config file will be created at build
time of the main project - while it is needed at configure time.

A workaround without superbuild which David suggested, is to download/
configure/build/install the external project at configure time of the
main project. After that, your main project can use find_package(ep).
This approach seems to work fine for me. A downside might be, that
the main project's configure step will take very long.
If the external project supports exporting targets from the build
tree, only the download and configure steps need to be executed at
configuration time, see:
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake/Tutorials/Exporting_and_Importing_Targets#Exporting_from_a_Build_Tree