<div dir="ltr"><div><div><div><div><div><div><div><div><div>Hi,<br><br></div>I am trying to figure out how to use externalproject_add to allow my work group to code more rapidly. We have a mercurial repository which builds a set of libraries, and a separate repository which contains applications that use those libraries. It is important for us to keep them separate.<br>
<br></div>Currently, I use ExternalProject_Add in the application CMakeLists.txt file to build the libraries and install them to a local directory which the applications link to. This works great as long as I am _only_ working in the applications repository. If I need to work on the libraries repository I need to go through, navigate and edit the sources, build them myself, and have the applications repository point to the built libraries and test it.<br>
<br></div>Ideally, for these rapid co-development phases I would like to<br>a) Be able to rebuild a project using ExternalProject_Add whenever any source file changes.<br></div>b) Provide the mechanism for an IDE project to include all the sources from another project specified by ExternalProject_Add.<br>
<br></div>For b) there was a bug open and closed here, <a href="http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=12322">http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=12322</a><br></div>I understand David's point about making bad assumptions, but I would find it extremely useful if I was able to include the sources and force a rebuild as I'm describing.<br>
<br></div>Does anyone have any ideas? We're currently doing a lot of refactoring on both repositories so removing as much development overhead will really help. When things get stable we will be using ExternalProject_Add on tagged revisions.<br>
<br></div>I highly appreciate any ideas, thanks.<br></div>- Aaron<br></div>