[cmake-developers] ctest not detecting error when clang fails to link

Alexandru Ciobanu alex at rogue-research.com
Thu Mar 8 15:34:16 EST 2012

Hi,

We found a scenario when when ctest does not detect a build error.

This occurs when clang is invoked as a linker and one of the libraries is not found:

    /Developer/usr/bin/clang++ -LDIR1 -LDIR2  -lib1 -lib2 -lib3 [...] -o MyApp
    ld: library not found for -lprofile_rt
    Command /Developer/usr/bin/clang++ failed with exit code 1

The two lines printed after this invocation are not matched by any of the regular expressions defined in Source/CTest/cmCTestBuildHandler.cxx

So, in our case, we have an incomplete build, and the error is not reported to the dashboard.

I think lines matching "clang\+* failed with exit code" should be considered errors and reported as such.

sincerely,
Alex Ciobanu